Thursday, January 20, 2011

10 for 5: Perogie Meal.

Yesterday, My wife was not home for dinner so I was only cooking for myself. There are some simple pleasures that I like once and a while and good tasty greasy food is one of them. My wife likes a more balanced less fat meal, but once and a while I love my comfort food.

I love good perogies, and really the meal is not complete without bacon,fried onions and sour cream. Since I am doing the 10 for 5 challenge I figured why not write this one down.

This is an easy and tasty meal, and not too many dishes. I am counting the perogies as one ingredient because they are so available. With Perogies, you get what you pay for. If you have a Polish or Ukrainian deli near you they usually have hand made perogies which make a huge difference from the frozen ones you get at the market. This meal depends on the quality of the ingredients, so make it count.

For the meal you will need: (For 2 people)
16-20 small perogies (Hand made are usually bigger and you will need 1/2 as many)
6 slices of bacon sliced into 1/2 strips
1/2 onion sliced thin
4 tbsp or more sour cream
1 1/2 tbsp water to render bacon

Start by slicing bacon into strips, then render in a little water for an even browning. once bacon is cooked place on paper towel to soak up some extra fat. Fry onions in bacon fat. Meanwhile, if using frozen perogies boil until they start to float or if using fresh skip this step. Then fry until golden brown on both sides in bacon fat. Serve with Sour cream, bacon and onions.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...