Sunday, February 6, 2011

10 for 5: Salsa

The 10 for 5 Challenge is tougher than I thought at this time of the year. The ingredients are not as inspiring in the heart of a Canadian winter. I was really excited to find tomatoes that looked red and some great fresh cilantro. Now my usual salsa recipe has a few more ingredients the challenge of 5 ingredients or less was that of sacrifice (which I don't do well). I had to be a little more creative to cut ingredients but still make it worth having.

I normally have shallots and garlic in my salsa, so I gave on shallots and kept the garlic. Now another thing I did differently was I used lemon juice instead of lime and zest, which works, but do yourself the favour and go for a sixth ingredient, add the zest of a lime in addition to the juice and you will be in heaven. Although I did miss the shallots, it was a fun experiment.

You will need: (makes about 2 cups)
6 roma tomatoes diced
1 clove of garlic purée
juice of 1 lime or 1/2 of a lemon
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 0r 2 jalapeño ( or other hot pepper to taste)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Start by dicing up the tomatoes and then add the rest to the same bowl. Let rest for min 30 minutes to allow the flavours to mature. Then get your favourite tortilla chips and enjoy.

How hot do you like your salsa? For my salsa I sometimes use habanero peppers.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...