Monday, February 21, 2011

Roast Beef with Roasted Vegetables on Rye.

I have always been a big fan of a good roast beef sandwich, and on homemade rye bread, it is almost as good as a Rueben. My favourite bread growing up was rye. There was this bakery that had a great rye bread, although it was a good walk (about 20 minutes each way), I would probably go once every couple weeks or so for my parents, when ever we had stew. Once I started making my own bread, it wasn't long before I learnt how to make rye bread. Well when you have a good bread, you have a great base to experiment with sandwiches.

I find that good sandwiches aren't always easy to come by, with the exception of a new sandwich only shop opened up near my work. Its a small chain that has put the focus on sandwiches and doing them well, but they are a little expensive. I love a good sandwich and since they are not always easy to find, I experiment with my own.

This experiment went well. I normally wouldn't have made this roasted vegetable sandwich with beef but my wife and I had roast beef for dinner yesterday. I took a gamble and well as long as you don't forget the mustard its a well balanced sandwich. I find that it balances the sweet caramelized vegetables well.

What you will need:

Roasted vegetables:
3 bell peppers ( I used 2 red and 1 orange)
1 med onion sliced into thing rings
1 Eggplant (aubergine) sliced
1 head of garlic
olive oil
S&P
Preheat oven to 400 F. Slice eggplant (aubergine) into about 1/4 inch slices, and place on cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt to bring out the excess moisture. Slice each of the peppers into 4 flat pieces. Slice onions carefully across the top to make thin circular slices (try to keep in tact) and place on a large foil lined cookie sheet with peppers(you may need separate trays). Take a sheet of foil out big enough to wrap head of garlic, slice top of garlic so each clove's top is cut off. Place garlic open part up, brush top with olive oil, season with S&P and wrap in foil. With a paper towel wipe off eggplant, then brush both sides with olive oil. Season with S&P and place back on cookie sheet. Bake for about 1 hour or until caramelized, the onions go from nothing to burnt rather quick so keep an eye on them. Eggplant needs only about 45 mins and turn everything (except the garlic) about 1/2 way in.
Let cool and chop. mix all vegetables together with garlic.

For sandwich:
2 slices of your favourite rye bread (you can substitute any bread you like)
3 Tbsp (or more) of the Vegetable mix
3 or 4 thin slices of Roast beef
Cheddar cheese
favourite mustard to taste
mayo (optional)

Adding grilled vegetables is a great way to add some flavour to any sandwich, I hope you enjoy it.

6 comments:

  1. lovely site you have
    this looks fabulous yummy flavours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I assure you it was a mouthful of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, love that idea...will have to try! Thanks for the add on FoodBuzz! It's so cool to meet other food bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boys would love this...nice looking sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Charissa and magic of spice. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These roasted vegetables sound like a great companion to the roast beef, especially those caramelized onions. It's fun to experiment and come up with a winner!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...