Monday, February 7, 2011

10 with 5: Buttermilk Biscuits


I love biscuits (scones) and I make a variety of them, the usual ones that I make are not a 5 ingredient recipe, but I was able to tweak them a bit to fit. The original recipe came from Anna Olson. I was trying to find an impressive dessert for a dinner date (for my now wife), and I wanted something light to serve with my fresh berry compot. It was a succes and I kept making that version. But when I counted the ingredients in my raisin biscuits, and found I was 2 ingredients over. I just bought some buttermilk for muffins, and pancakes and thought maybe I can make a more savory scone if I drop the sugar, and raisins. The buttermilk and a bit of extra salt made the difference as well as a very tasty biscuit.

One thing to mention when making these really easy biscuits, keep the butter really cold and the less you work the dough the flakier the biscuits. The butter should not be fully incorporated as it creates little air pockets, and refrigerating the dough before use will also help. After all it’s mostly the butter doing the work here.

So you will need:

3 Cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Baking powder
¾ Cup cold butter cut into cubes
1 cup Buttermilk (an extra 2 Tbsp for brushing-optional)

Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix dry ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl, and then mix in butter (until consistency of course meal). Slowly add buttermilk until dough forms. Lightly flour work surface and rolling pin and roll out to about ½ inch thick and cut in ½ and then each 1” wide. Place on a lightly floured cookie sheet, each spaced by 1” and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Take them to the next level by incorporating (a sixth ingredient)½ a cup of grated cheddar. Hope you like them as much as we did…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...